Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Azalea Blossoms

Azalea Blossoms
7" square, WN markers on S&B Zeta journal

Today was my nurse appointment at the family health care clinic. As usual I got out into the sun and saw the azalea bush at the patient drop-off blooming brightly. So I went ahead and snapped a photo. Then sketched from it in the waiting room. I didn't have time to get a lot of photos in the garden but did snap one or two of a patch of jonquils, may paint from those later if they're clear enough. I won't know till I go through them whether they're blurry or not.

I love these markers for fast sketching. On days that I'm not feeling up to art they can make the difference between whether I sketch or not. The water brush really brings out the lighter values too. I was pleasantly surprised to find the Sap Green and Alizarin Crimson Hue were exactly the right match for the real plants, though if I had started bringing in darks around them like the photo I'd have been doing a lot of layering to match both color and value. I decided on leaving it white because I liked it. One of those moments of recognizing less is more.

No comments:

Post a Comment