Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Pastel Puzzle Painting #3



Pastel Puzzle Painting #3

On WetCanvas, my favorite art community online, the Soft Pastel Talk forum has frequent challenges. This one, the organizer took a photo reference and cut it into 20 square pieces. None of us know what the final picture is until all of them get turned in and she puts together the final image. I participated in the last two Puzzle Painting challenges.

They're fun because I can focus on accuracy without knowing what the subject is. Capturing a texture and a color when I don't have that color is especially challenging. Today I did this with a limited palette of only 10 Pan Pastels. A friend of mine bought me the 10 Painters Set as a field kit. So I decided to test that by doing my Puzzle Piece using only the 10 Painters Set and only tools included in the 10 Painters Set.

Yep. I was right. For anyone who's used to mixing color with watercolors or acrylics, 10 Painters is a full palette. I'm going to enjoy using it as my field kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment