Monday, July 27, 2015

Sketches New and Older

 Back to Basics Sketch Page, with Ari Cat from Life
Conte' Pierre Noir pencil on paper, 8 1/2" x 11"

Well, today had daily art again, at least a page of some basic sketches from a video I watched on ArtistsNetworkTV. Sometimes it's good to go back to basics. Ari Cat and all the pears are from life, since I finally found my plastic pear ina drawer and took it out. The apple is from life too but it's a real one. I'll eat it soon. 

The following are all the sketches I forgot to post in June! About half a month's sketches and paintings! Lots and lots. I wasn't skiving off even if I didn't remember to keep up the blog. I'm now keeping the tab open the way I used to as a reminder to post!

 Three pigeons from life in Derwent Graphitints.

 Ari Cat walking, stomping along in a grumpy mood. Fast gesture sketch in motion! I've wanted to capture a moving cat for some time! Got him!
Brush pen on paper.

Page of tree studies in Burnt Umber brush pen 

 Page of Ari Cat sketches mostly in brush pen or pen.
All from life, includes Ari Stomping one at top.

 Ari Cat washing his thigh in pen and watercolor
on a red coverlet, Stillman & Birn journal 7" square. Life.

Ari cat life sketches and a horse from my daughter's photo. Horse looks a bit young and attenuated but recognizable. 

Page of shell, cat, shark tooth sketches from life
8 1/2" x 11" charcoal pencil 

Green Tyrannosaurus Rex in brush pens, Ari cat from life sleeping and 
contour drawing of the same horse, better proportions. 

Landscape in Winsor & Newton Watercolor Markers
Large pine, distant mountains and green hills. 

Tyrannosaurus Rex in brown brush pen, mostly contour. 

 Ari Cat life drawing on small page.

 Ari Cat drawings from life with fine Pigma Micron pens
detailed washing thigh, detailed sleeping head pressed to pillow cute.

Majungasaurus in brown and black brush pen walking at angle.
Daspletosaurus profile in green and brown brush pen. 

Camptosaurus looking around behind a browsing Stegosaurus.

Toward the end of June I binge watched a lot of dinosaur documentaries. I sketched the dinosaurs watching them over and over, mostly didn't pause the screen. I especially wanted to get some more natural poses and sometimes, like the last one, put them in something resembling scenery.

I had a lot of fun with my sketchbooks and worked on a pastel landscape that still isn't finished. I'm all set up to finish it now and have the right pastels handy next to me for the last layers.  Wanted to work on it today but health issues interfered.

Now that I'm all caught up, enjoy! And say hi to your sketchbook. Daily drawing is good for anyone, reduces stress, improves your skills and improves observation. Even easy forms you've drawn over and over help develop observation, coordination and composition! If you don't have much time or energy, work small or keep it simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment