Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Wisteria, Palms, Iris and Sparrow

 Wisteria in Watercolor Pencils 

Sparrow, Iris and Two Palm Trees
on Large Watercolor Moleskine Journal

Today was my clinic appointment, which went quickly and gave me time in the garden for life sketching! I brought my Prismacolor Watercolor pencils and some Pigma Microns plus assorted water media. 

Using the 01 size Pigma Micron pen, I sketched two palm trees on the page already occupied by that sparrow from my photo. Then I used a set of five Daniel Smith Watercolor Sticks as pans with a water brush to paint them, mingling colors while they were wet. Sap Green, Quinacridone Burnt Orange and Ultramarine primarily. A touch of Quinacridone Coral wound up in the gray pulling it warmer and grayer. It was fun.

Then out into the garden with my Prismacolor Watercolor pencils. I sketched and washed the wisteria that was still blooming over the outside of the garden wall, one of my favorite plants. It's hard to photograph because that street gets windy and the flowers and leaves toss constantly. Heck with that, I sketched it to get an accurate memory of its structure for later painting, then washed the sketch. Then detailed a little more and glazed with a darker violet pencil here and there.

Going back, I still had fifteen minutes and stopped by a lovely iris. I tucked that in between sparrow and palms but placed it a little low on the page, Would have liked to put it just a half inch higher, but live and learn. Layout on sketch pages is still something I work on sometimes. I'm happy with the anatomy though. The modeling shadows on the curled huge petals were fascinating!

I still have a landscape painting of a stormy skyscape in progress that I intend to finish by the end of the month. All my pastels are out and ready for it, everything I need is at hand. Hopefully tomorrow will be the day I'm up to working on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment