Friday, August 7, 2015

Pink Milkweed in the Mist

Pink Milkweed in the Mist
9" x 12" pastel on paper

This simple painting was planned to be a good deal more complex. Once I began it, I decided to dispense with the background as planned. I just went with it from the first strokes and let it happen. 

Unisons on Flannel Gray Canson-Mi Tientes paper, smooth side. Recently, I finally stocked up on every hue of Canson Mi-Tientes that Dick Blick carries, so I'm well prepared and will be doing a lot with colored grounds! I love the range. I love being able to go to the paper folder and riffle through to match the sample I chose for the specific painting I'm doing. Previously I had about a dozen favorite colors, most of it in pads. Now it's the whole range.

I seriously recommend it to anyone who likes working on colored paper. Canson reduced their range a little but upgraded many colors till now the full range is lightfast. The freedom of using paper in that much variety is wonderful. Its texture (especially on the smooth side) is a favorite, sturdy and toothy. Unisons of course are wonderful, one of the best artist grade pastels out there.

September is Leslie Saeta's 30 Paintings in 30 Days challenge and I will be participating again, mostly in pastels and water mediums. Sign ups are open now. It was a lot of fun when I did it before. This year I'll be doing many floral studies, both from my garden photos and the new silk flowers a dear friend sent me. I have actual vases now, and they will be a joy to paint!

Enjoy! And have a go - pastels are a lot of fun to paint with. Pick something cool from your yard or the roadside and paint it at home. I'd love to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment