Saturday, October 17, 2015

Black Eyed Susans in soft pastel

Black Eyed Susans
9" x 12" pastel on paper

Good old workhorse Rembrandt pastels on Canson Mi-Tientes paper. This is my best Black Eyed Susans to date. These flowers confound me. I've done them many times and remember three frustrating oil paintings I did in Kansas where I got lost in background details but tilted all the flowers toward me. In my defense, the sun was at my back and they actually were all tilted toward the sun - but that doesn't really fly for artistic choices. They'd have been more interesting going in different directions and showing volume.

These three are more or less pointing in the same direction but at least they're at an angle giving them some depth!

2 comments:

  1. Love the simplicity. Really love b/e susans. Maryland's state flower. Looking for some things to do like this to practice n b able to give away to kids in my church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh this kind of thing is not hard and the supplies are not expensive! This paper came from a 9" x 12" Canson Mi-Tientes pad, about $5 at online stores. Maybe a bit more at offline stores. Student grade pastels are cheap and some of the less expensive artist grade ones are non toxic. Watch for a non toxic brand if it's for kids.

      Now you've got me thinking of doing a lesson on Black Eyed Susans! Might be fun!

      Delete