Thursday, October 16, 2014

Pear from Life

Pear from Life
Pastel on paper, 9" x 12"

Another quick study, this time because my food program included a brown pear with my lunch. I love painting pears, so that set the day's painting on track! I sketched it in charcoal to establish lights and darks first:

Charcoal undersketch

This wasn't that hard to work out. I saw a lot of slight value and color variations and worked at getting them accurate in the final painting. A middle stage I didn't photograph had bright golden yellow on the sunlit strip and slightly yellowish green on the shadow area across the entire area. Then I began playing with different colors over it to get a shimmering mixed brown that uses every hue in the spectrum. Background was actually dark behind it and the surface bright white, but I jazzed them up with color to make the pear look better.

No comments:

Post a Comment