Saturday, September 12, 2015

Day 12 30 in 30 Challenge, Ari Cat Bathing

Day 12: Ari Cat Bathing, ATC size
Pentel Pocket Brush Pen on Stillman & Birn Beta paper

Love my stash of the great 180lb white rough Beta paper. I can do anything I want on it - and as you can see, its rough texture still allows fine expressive penwork and yet I can do good pastels or dry brush watercolor textures.

He posed and I sketched rapidly in pencil before he moved. His first pose was even better but he moved his far leg down before I could pick up the pencil. Then he shifted position a bit but was still close enough that I could ink and get the direction of his fur with those loose thick and thin strokes.

The longer I practice with the Pentel Pocket Brush Pen, the more expressive it is. For artists who like doing Japanese kanji or Chinese calligraphy, this pen is a fountain pen with a genuine brush tip, a small round with a very tiny, tight point for small marks. Writing with it in English is tricky with its pressure sensitivity. I had no idea how much I bear down on certain marks while signing my initials!

Still to come, I have a nice triad of American Journey watercolors that I got on sale and will enjoy painting with, see how well they handle and blend. Good primary color choices should give me a full range with it. Especially Ultramarine. I can stand knocking back greens a touch but I like getting a good strong purple and a cold red with Ultramarine and a bright yellow is a favorite combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment