Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Day 22: Red Peonies in Watercolor

Red Peonies in Watercolor
8" x 4" bas de page

Derived from yesterday's oil pastels painting, this quick study of the same flowers fills the bottom of the same page in my Stillman & Birn Beta watercolor journal - the 8 1/2" x 11" one. I've got a barrier sheet of tracing paper folded around the previous page to prevent the oil pastel from smearing onto the fruit still life in the milk glass dish and the colorful abstract below it.

So here's the entire Red Peonies page:
Red Peonies Page

I like the overall effect, even if they're a little offset from each other. One of the things I'm exploring in the larger journal is layout and using two or more paintings on the same page. This month has been exhilarating!

I've done daily art before and always enjoyed it, but this September's been a time for bold experiments and surprising discoveries. I've loosened up but also sometmes become more accurate in my sketching.  I've gotten better at composition and recognized that easier when I get it right.

It's a lot of fun! I'd recommend the challenge to anyone who feels like they're on a plateau with their art!

No comments:

Post a Comment